DALLAS, TX--(Marketwired - May 12, 2014) - Parks Associates announced today that Ken Durand, Vice President, Innovation and Business Development, Ericsson, will present the CONNECTIONS™ morning keynote, "The Car...Just Another Connected Device?" on Thursday, May 15, 9:45 a.m. Durand will examine the current innovations and constraints in the connected car ecosystem, analyze the long-term benefits, and discuss the lessons learned from early prototypes and adaptations. Registration is open, and media are invited to attend.
The international research firm will host CONNECTIONS™: The Premier Connected Home Conference on May 13-15 at the San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront. The agenda includes panel discussions featuring high-level executives from start-ups, Fortune 500, venture capitalist, public relations, and media companies. Topics include the emerging devices and services in the Internet of Things; creating content & services for the multiscreen, multidevice household; and building value-added services for future users.
"Parks Associates research shows nearly 50% of consumers planning to buy a car in the next 12 months value connected car features, with demand strongest among owners/shoppers of luxury cars such as Audi," said Stuart Sikes, President, Parks Associates. "Connected capabilities are becoming key features for car sellers, and companies in the connected home space need to be prepared for the interoperability challenges and partnership opportunities coming from this sector. Mr. Durand's insight into the role of the connected car in the connected home will be invaluable to CONNECTIONS™ attendees."
"Drivers and passengers want to access to the same digital services they've become accustomed to in the home, at work, or on the go with a smartphone," said Ken Durand, Vice President, Innovation and Business Development at Ericsson. "The connected car ecosystem is evolving to help automotive makers and technology providers deliver on this demand while opening new opportunities for stakeholders. We are eager to continue the dialogue around how the industry can evolve at the event."
- Nearly one-third of U.S. car owners already have some kind of in-vehicle connectivity.
- The majority of connected car owners have built-in screen displays for navigation and information.
- The most appealing connected car features are those that provide navigation and vehicle performance information. Approximately 10-20% of car owners find website and news access appealing. Among luxury car drivers, the figure approaches 50%.
- Among those driving luxury car models, over one-third have the ability to view maps & directions, and 30% of Audi drivers have the ability to access websites through their car.
- Most of those with connected car features use them on at least a monthly basis.
- Luxury cars are driving connected car adoption; over 50% of consumers driving luxury car models have connected car capabilities, including BMWs, Cadillacs, Mercedes, Lexus, Acuras, and Infinitis. Audi leads this category; nearly 80% of Audi drivers report having connected car features.
Other CONNECTIONS™ keynotes include executives from ARRIS, AT&T, iControl Networks, and Cisco Systems.
CONNECTIONS™ Sponsors are Association Sponsor CEA®; Platinum Sponsor Cisco; Reception Sponsor iControl Networks; Silver Sponsors Amdocs, Lowe's, Qualcomm, and Support.com; Bronze Sponsors ADT, Affinegy, Arrayent, HDMI, INSTEON, Logitech Harmony, NETGEAR, PlanetEcosystems, Silicon Image, and Z-Wave Alliance; Program Guide NAGRA; Breakfast Sponsors Ayla Networks, and GreenWave Systems; and Break Sponsors AlertMe, Honeywell, Linear, and SmartRG.
The 18th-annual CONNECTIONS™: The Premier Connected Home Conference will take place May 13-15, 2014, at the San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront. Hosted by research firm Parks Associates, CONNECTIONS™ features research presentations, keynotes, and interactive sessions focused on emerging technologies, value-added services, marketing strategies, and business models for the entertainment and smart home industries.
The event provides interactive discussions, data on consumer trends, and market analysis, with strategic insights from industry players on entertainment, mobile, and smart home market segments. The event also features a showcase area where attendees can preview demos from event sponsors.