(This piece is contributed by Rad DeRose, CEO of L-Tron, a 35 year old company specializing in business automation.)
It has become increasingly popular for stores and mobile employees to now use smartphones and/or tablets as an efficient method of completing consumer transactions. This trend is of no surprise based on the estimated number of shipments for tablets and mobile phones in 2013 at just over 2 million! However, with so many smartphone and tablet choices on the market, how can your organization best narrow down its options?
It can be overwhelming trying to determine which solution will work best for your organization and there may not be only one right answer. If a “smart” device has caught your attention, below are five steps on how to narrow down your options and determine which device can benefit your organization the most.
- Understand- Having a clear understanding of both your short-term and long-term goals is extremely important. If your organization is looking to decrease expenditures and increase productivity, then a “smart” device could strategically fit into those goals.
- Strategize- This step includes identifying every device that could be a possibility and identifying its pros and cons. The most logical choice would be a device that seamlessly integrates into the hardware and software that is already in use.
- Train-It is of no surprise that some employees will be reluctant to change when something unfamiliar of them is expected. This is why training all employees on how to use the device, including its rewards and risks, is imperative. If your employees do not fully comprehend its processes when active, a new device could potentially decrease customer satisfaction. Remember….training is key!
- Implement- Execute your solution at a time that will not weigh down your business (i.e. do not implement 3 days before Christmas). It needs to be a smooth transition for both the company and your employees. If you are familiar with how to operate a smartphone or tablet, you should not have any problem using this device and it should not take a significant amount of time to implement.
- Results-The results of the implementation should be effective immediately. Not only will you see an increase in efficiency from employees, your expenditures will decrease and your revenues will increase. How does this work? Decreased expenditures are because you will no longer have to worry about losing sales if servers go down or be on the phone with IT when problems erupt. Most easy-to-use “smart” devices are compatible with Android and Windows operating systems, allowing organizations to turn out more transactions per day.
The Honeywell Dolphin™ 70e Black is one viable option that is turning heads and is certainly worth taking a closer look at. It looks like an everyday device, but has such a technologically advanced operating system, it performs like an industrial device.
The Dolphin 70e allows organizations to connect multiple devices, access real-time data, aggressively scan barcodes, and most importantly – do more with less. Here is some additional information and a video to provide insight as to how it will fit your business’s operations.
About the author: RAD DeRose is the President & CEO of L-Tron Corporation. He has over 30 years of experience in industrial automation and data collection solutions and brings a deep knowledge-base on the challenges faced in commercial and public safety sectors.
Please be sure to let our sponsors know you've seen them on www.barcode.com.
Other articles about mobile devices that may interest you:
and, a few more from www.pointofsale.com
Get The Bar Code News once a month, once a week or once a day. Subscribe here.