NEWARK, Calif., Oct. 24, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Socket Mobile, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCKT), a leading innovator of data capture and delivery solutions for enhanced productivity, today reported financial results for its 2019 third quarter and nine months ended September 30, 2019.
Revenue for the third quarter of 2019 was $5.0 million, an increase of 20 percent compared to revenue of $4.1 million for the same quarter a year ago. Cordless barcode scanner revenue was $4.8 million for the third quarter of 2019, an increase of 17 percent over the same quarter a year ago. Net income for the third quarter of 2019 was $94,000 or $0.01 per share, compared to a net loss of $45,000 or $0.01 per share a year ago.
Gross profit margins for the third quarter of 2019 were 52.9 percent, compared to margins of 52.6 percent for the third quarter a year ago.
Operating expenses for the third quarter of 2019 were $2.5 million compared to operating expenses of $2.2 million for the same quarter a year ago, representing an increase in operating expenses of 14 percent.
For the nine months ended September 30, 2019, revenue was $14.7 million, an increase of 19 percent compared to revenue of $12.3 million for the same period a year ago. Net income for the nine months ended September 30, 2019 was $0.2 million or $0.04 per share compared to a net loss of $0.4 million or $0.07 per share in the year ago period.
Gross profit margins for the nine months ended September 30, 2019 were 52.3 percent, compared to 51.8 percent for the same period in 2018. Operating expenses for the nine months ended September 30, 2019 were $7.3 million, an increase of 6 percent compared to operating expenses of $6.8 million in the same period a year ago.
Cash and cash equivalents were $0.9 million at September 30, 2019 compared to $1.1 million at December 31, 2018. Stockholders' Equity at September 30, 2019 was $13.0 million compared to $12.4 million at December 31, 2018.
Kevin Mills, president and chief executive officer, commented, "We are pleased with both our quarter over quarter and year over year growth rate of approximately 20% and the general underlying strength of our business. Our growth in Q3 was helped by increased sales in Japan, where a Japanese government program, which subsidized retail system upgrades, ended in Q3. Systems ordered under this program must be delivered by December 2019. Sales in the EMEA region were also stronger, which resulted in our total international revenue being 34% of our Q3 revenue.
"Our growth continues to be driven by the development and deployment pace of our registered developers who integrate our barcode scanning capabilities into their applications. We will continue to promote our Capture SDK with the use of developer tools and provide responsive support to our growing developer community as needed.
"Profitable growth has strengthened our balance sheet and provided the working capital we need to support future growth," Mr. Mills concluded.
Management of Socket Mobile will hold a conference call and webcast today at 2 PM Pacific (5 PM Eastern) to discuss the quarterly results and outlook for the future. The dial-in number to access the call from the U.S. is (888) 424-8151 using passcode 9022984. From international locations, obtain the local dial-in number through your web browser at http://web.meetme.net/r.aspx?p=11&a=UHJRZjYQMtcbJz
A live and replay audio webcast of the conference call can be accessed through a link on Socket Mobile's website at www.socketmobile.com. From the home page, select "Investor Relations"/ and "Conference Calls and Events."
More bar code news and competitive intelligence:
- Socket Mobile Appoints Ivan Lazarev to Its Board of Directors
- Brother Mobile Solutions Introduces 4-inch Thermal Transfer Printers For Wide Range of Industrial Applications
- ScanSource to Announce First Quarter Fiscal Year 2020 Results November 12, 2019
- Global Coding and Marking Ink Markets, Regulatory Landscape Driving Ink Modifications
- Avery Dennison Announces Third Quarter 2019 Results
- SensThys and Smartrac Partner to Provide RFID-Based Moisture, Temperature and Location Sensing Solution
- Dynamsoft Barcode Reader SDK Adds Support for Seven Barcode Types
- GS1 Trace-a-thon: More Than 80 Hackers Compete to Create Solutions That Help Make Supply Chains More Transparent
- 55% of Consumers Are Likely to Choose a Retailer Offering Self-Checkout, According to New BRP Report
- Accusoft Launches New Website to Better Reflect Position in the Marketplace
- Accusoft Releases Barcode Xpress .NET Core
- QR Codes and Blockchain App Make Farm To Coffee Cup Transparency Happen
- Keeping Business On The Cutting Edge, with Online Inventory System
- $18.2 Billion RFID Tags Markets - Global Outlook Report to 2026
- Digimarc Sets Third Quarter 2019 Conference Call for Wednesday, October 30 at 5:00 p.m. ET