Global Leaders Work Together To Pave Way for Public Transport Interoperability
WAKEFIELD, Mass., USA – April 18, 2017 – The NFC Forum announced today the publication of the NFC Forum – ISO/IEC 14443 Analog Parameter Comparison and Alignment white paper. The 143-page white paper defines a generic methodology to compare analog parameter limit values defined by the NFC Forum and ISO/IEC 14443. It documents the methodology, procedures and results developed to ensure that NFC Forum-conformant mobile devices interoperate with ISO/IEC 14443- and ISO/IEC 18092-conformant public transport readers and objects, clearing a path to ensure reliable public transportation fare payment, ticketing and access control using NFC-enabled devices, such as smartphones.
"The catalyst for this collaborative industry effort was customer demand for mobility, a better user experience and connected environments," said Paula Hunter, executive director, NFC Forum. "Looking ahead, the NFC Forum will continue developing partnerships with organizations that share our vision to create an extraordinary user experience. I look forward to unveiling more about these partnerships as deployments progress throughout the year."
- Download the NFC Forum - ISO/IEC 14443 Analog Parameter Comparison and Alignment White Paper
- View a presentation: Transforming the NFC Public Transportation Experience
- Learn more about the NFC Forum's Transport Special Interest Group (SIG)
- Watch a two-minute video about NFC and the NFC Forum
The NFC Forum's Transport Special Interest Group, European Committee for Standardization (CEN) TC278 WG3 and GSMA collaborated on the interoperability requirements between NFC mobile devices and public transport fare management infrastructure to produce the white paper. The concept of interoperability and its technical foundation documented in the NFC Forum – ISO/IEC 14443 Analog Parameter Comparison and Alignment white paper was formally endorsed by the NFC Forum and CEN TC278 WG3. The NFC Forum, ISO/IEC JTC1SC17/WG8 and CEN TC278 WG3 agreed to continue technical cooperation to provide synchronized update of the specification as required.
"NFC is a standard feature on most smartphones and enables communication between a reader and a card up to 10cm in proximity making it ideal for public transportation and payment applications," added Hunter. "This white paper supports ongoing efforts to harmonize various contactless interfaces to reduce interoperability issues and provides Public Transport Operators, Mobile Network Operators, and handset manufacturers with a roadmap for accelerating the implementation of NFC-enabled mobile ticketing."
About the NFC Forum
The NFC Forum (www.nfc-forum.org) was launched as a non-profit industry association in 2004 by leading mobile communications, semiconductor, and consumer electronics companies. The Forum's mission is to advance the use of Near Field Communication technology by developing specifications, ensuring interoperability among devices and services, and educating the market about NFC technology. The Forum's global member companies are currently developing specifications for a modular NFC device architecture, and protocols for interoperable data exchange and device-independent service delivery, device discovery, and device capability. The NFC Forum's Sponsor members, which hold seats on the Board of Directors, include leading players in key industries around the world. The Sponsor members are: Apple Inc., Broadcom Corporation, Dai Nippon Printing Co. Ltd., Google, Inc., Intel, MasterCard Worldwide, NXP Semiconductors, Qualcomm, Samsung, Sony Corporation, STMicroelectronics, and Visa Inc.
- Dynamsoft Intros Cloud Service to Convert Scanned PDF and Images to Editable Documents
- Star Micronics Introduces the SM-L300, Portable Receipt and Label Printer
- Barcodely a Startup That Wants to Turn Your Email Into a Barcode for Paperless Receipts
- AIM Webinar - IoT Enabled by Chains of Accountability
- Onest Logistics to Support Growth with HighJump WMS
- Digimarc Sets First Quarter 2017 Conference Call for Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 5pm ET
- World RFID Smart Label Market - Opportunities & Forecasts to 2022 - Research and Markets
- Bluestar Announces the Availability of Zebra Technologies' New DS2200 Series Barcode Scanners
Get The Bar Code News once a month, once a week or once a day. Subscribe here.