Ecommerce has taken off in the last 4 years, and that growth is just going to continue to increase exponentially in the years to come. As the web becomes the go-to medium for shopping, the volume of shipping will also increase to compensate for the outpour of deliveries. Consequently, the demand for cardboard boxes and thermal shipping labels has skyrocketed. Any company with an ecommerce presence has to now adjust their operations to accommodate for this shift.
Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) is a giant in the cardboard box industry. They own numerous containerboard mills, paper mills, converting facilities, and packaging & supply centers. One of their better known divisions is Boise Paper, a huge producer of release liner.
Come April, PCA has plans to invest close to $200 million to convert their paper machines to produce containerboard instead of its popular release liner. This will spur a huge shortage in the release liner industry. The machinery is operated by Boise Paper and was initially used to produce specialty release liner for their major customer, Avery Dennison. This ultimately turned out to not be as profitable as PCA had originally anticipated. The machines were very sensitive to contaminants, causing frequent shutdowns.
Boise currently holds 1/3rd of the North American release liner market, so this change will largely effect label manufacturers everywhere. To read more about this, check out the full article here.”
Courtesy of Smith Corona
- RAIN RFID Alliance to Sponsor 2018 UDI Conference
- Digimarc Sets Q4 and Full Year 2017 Conference Call for Wed Feb 21, 2018 at 5pm
- Socket Mobile Announces 2017 Fourth Quarter and Annual Results Release Date
- KOAMTAC Adds New Samsung Smartphone Cases for KDC470 SmartSled® Solution
- ID Label Converts Bar Code Production Waste to Energy
- ScanSource Reports Record Quarterly Sales
- Hospitals Adopt Bar Code Automated Central Pharmacy System For Medication Inventory Management
- Track and Trace Solutions Market Worth 3.93 Billion USD by 2023
- North Carolina’s New Hanover County ABC Board Expands Adoption of Age ID Scanner
- Terso Expands Manufacturing Capabilities To Meet Growing Adoption Of Rain RFID Solutions
Get The Bar Code News once a month, once a week or once a day. Subscribe here.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheBarCodeNews
Follow us on Facebook: https://facebook.com/TheBarCodeNews