MCLEAN, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) has awarded Kapsch TrafficCom (Kapsch) a contract to replace and maintain all roadside tolling equipment in the mixed-mode, cash, and express toll lanes under MDTA management. The contract includes hardware upgrades at all MDTA bridge and tunnel facilities, including the iconic William Preston Lane Memorial Bay Bridge and the Fort McHenry Tunnel, as well as along the Intercounty Connector/MD 200 and I-95 Express Lanes. The base contract includes the replacement of all toll equipment and six years of subsequent operations and maintenance.
The new roadside equipment will include RFID toll readers, automated license place recognition (ALPR) cameras, and scanners in the mixed-mode lanes. In addition, Kapsch will install its groundbreaking stereoscopic Vehicle Detection and Classification sensor (nVDC) in the all-electronic toll (AET) lanes. The nVDC is a 3D video-based sensor that can track and classify vehicles throughout the entire toll zone while triggering ALPR cameras. Trip-building will be a feature of the new toll system, a proven Kapsch solution in which individual vehicle transactions at toll points are grouped into sets of continuous trips, and that correlate with transponder reads and license plate numbers to produce a single billable trip for a vehicle’s entire journey. As part of the system replacement, Kapsch will also provide license plate image-review services and fully-formed transactions to the MDTA back office, enhancing accuracy and auditability of the tolling system.
Kapsch is a leading provider of toll collection systems throughout the world, and has provided products and services to the Maryland Transportation Authority through the E-ZPass Group since 1994. Chris Murray, president of Kapsch TrafficCom North America, stated: “We are glad to partner with MDTA as they bring their toll system to a leading standard in all-electronic tolling. By providing Kapsch roadside equipment and innovative trip-building features, MDTA will be able to offer customers an increased level of service with increased functionality, accurate transactions, and a proven solution.” MDTA Executive Director Kevin C. Reigrut added: "We are looking forward to our partnership with Kapsch. Reliability, collaboration and flexibility will drive this transformation and will allow us to meet the evolving needs of our customers and provide them with the level of customer service they deserve.”
The project will be managed locally from the Kapsch office in Rockville, Maryland. All facilities are expected to be converted to the Kapsch system by 2020.
Kapsch TrafficCom is a provider of intelligent transportation systems in the fields of tolling, traffic management, smart urban mobility, traffic safety and security, and connected vehicles. As a one-stop solutions provider, Kapsch TrafficCom offers end-to-end solutions covering the entire value creation chain of its customers, from components and design to the implementation and operation of systems. The mobility solutions supplied by Kapsch TrafficCom help make road traffic safer and more reliable, efficient, and comfortable in urban areas and on highways alike while helping to reduce pollution.
Kapsch TrafficCom is an internationally renowned provider of intelligent transportation systems thanks to the many projects it has brought to successful fruition in more than 50 countries around the globe. As part of the Kapsch Group, Kapsch TrafficCom has subsidiaries and branches in more than 30 countries. It has been listed in the Prime Market of the Vienna Stock Exchange since 2007 (ticker symbol: KTCG). Kapsch TrafficCom currently has more than 4,800 employees, and generated revenue of approximately EUR 648 million in fiscal year 2016/17.
Further information: www.kapsch.net/ktc
- Jack Hamilton Joins Positek RFID Team to Expand Healthcare Market Proficiency
- Tulip Launches the Industry's First Digital Manufacturing Quick-Start Kit
- Asset Panda Introduces Integration Support for Jamf
- FoodLogiQ Names Bjerknes to Board of Directors
- MedSpeed Names Dan Blake Chief Technology Officer
- Socket Mobile Announces 2018 First Quarter Results Release Date and Conference Call
- VerifyMe Reports 2017 Financial Results - Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA Improves 38%
- World’s First Wireless Charging Bluetooth Tracker Card
- Baxter Wins Award for “Excellence in Supply Chain Software Solutions” from Palo Alto Networks®
- Supply Chain Consultants Launch Smartphone Display Cost and Forecast Report
- E Ink and Faubel Unveil the Med Label to Revolutionize the Clinical Trial Supply Chain
- ScanSource to Announce Third Quarter Fiscal Year 2018 Results on May 8, 2018
- Fully Autonomous Indoor Aerial Vehicles For Warehouses
- GlobalVision Unveils Scanner for Quick & Easy inspection of Bottles, Tubes and Cans
- ShipStation Announces New Enhancements to Scan to Print Shipping Workflow
- Michael Wai to Lead Smartrac’s APAC Sales Team, Targeting Accelerated IoT Solutions Growth
- Mobile Scan-and-go Shopping: The Future of Retail is Now
- SMC³ Announces Connections 2018 Lineup
- Zebra Unveils Card Printing Solution Designed to ‘Fit Everywhere #RFIDLive
- Supply Chain Modernization Among Major Themes at 2018 TPA Supply Chain Conference
- NASA Leader Honored by AIM North America #RFIDLive