Merchandise theft clearly is an increasing concern and a significant reality for retail jewelers. We believe it's time for jewelers to adopt emerging technologies and improve procedures to better protect valuable merchandise. -- Sid Kalantar, Senseon SVP, Sales and Marketing
SANTA FE SPRINGS, Calif. (PRWEB) February 21, 2018
Three-quarters (75%) of retail jewelers participating in a Senseon® Secure Access survey said they are more concerned about jewelry theft than in the past, Senseon reported today. And of those jewelers expressing anxiety, 44% are “a lot” or “moderately” concerned.
Among other findings:
- Nearly one-third (31%) of respondents experienced jewelry theft in 2015, 2016 or 2017.
- Losses in 2016 totaled $10,001 or more for 39% of those reporting theft.
- Over one-third (35%) of jewelers experiencing theft expect inventory shrink in 2017 to surpass that in 2016.
- Shoplifting is the most common cause of theft, cited by 44% of respondents. It’s followed by burglary (27%), employee theft (26%) and robbery (21%).
- 35% of jewelers experiencing theft in the last three years saw an increase in shoplifting, the most-reported category for growth.
- The biggest merchandise protection problem for jewelers is “display cases and cabinets left unlocked and unattended,” an issue for 24% of respondents. The No. 2 problem is “too much time and trouble using physical keys to access merchandise to show customers,” cited by 12%.
“Merchandise theft clearly is an increasing concern and a significant reality for retail jewelers,” said Sid Kalantar, Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Senseon. “Based on our survey findings and industry experience, we believe it’s time for jewelers to adopt emerging technologies and improve procedures to better protect valuable merchandise. Doing so will also make it easier for sales associates to access jewelry, speeding transactions and enhancing the customer experience.”
The Senseon email survey was distributed by INSTORE Magazine to subscribers from Sept. 30, 2017 - Dec. 6, 2017, producing nearly 200 responses.
About Senseon® Secure Access
Senseon® Secure Access is the smart successor to the traditional lock and key for cabinetry and casework, ideally suited for retail jewelry stores. This keyless, hidden, versatile electronic secure access locking system uses patented radio-frequency identification (RFID) to provide greater security and efficiency while enhancing the customer experience for increased sales. Jewelers benefit from auto relocking of cases and cabinets, locks four times as strong as traditional locks, and streamlined access management. Senseon is built on patented, proven technology from Accuride® International, a world-leading global designer and manufacturer of movement solutions for businesses, offering over 50 years of experience.
More bar code and RFID news:
- Cognex Reports Record Revenue, Earnings and EPS for 2017
- FIME accredited to deliver intelligent e-ticketing testing and certification services
- Zebra Revolutionizes Field Worker Productivity with New Durable Smartphone
- Bar Code News Magazine Latest Free Issue
- Packaging Corporation of America and the $200 Million Gamble
- RAIN RFID Alliance to Sponsor 2018 UDI Conference
- Digimarc Sets Q4 and Full Year 2017 Conference Call for Wed Feb 21, 2018 at 5pm
- Socket Mobile Announces 2017 Fourth Quarter and Annual Results Release Date
- KOAMTAC Adds New Samsung Smartphone Cases for KDC470 SmartSled® Solution
- ID Label Converts Bar Code Production Waste to Energy
Get The Bar Code News once a month, once a week or once a day. Subscribe here.