Mobile Ready Hero Images Guideline Also Introduced to Streamline the Display of Mobile-Optimized Product Images
LAWRENCEVILLE, N.J. and BRUSSELS, Aug. 14, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- GS1®, the global information standards organization, has ratified a new global Web standard and guideline to help industry optimize the online shopping experience. As businesses begin to deploy solutions leveraging the new standard, called GS1 Digital Link, brands and retailers can Web-enable barcodes and provide consumers with a direct link to brand-authorized product information and content including product images, expiration dates, nutritional data, warranty registration, troubleshooting instructions, discount offers, and more. Additionally, the GS1 Mobile Ready Hero Images guideline standardizes the combination of product images and information viewed on mobile devices.
Developed by an international working group of retailers, brand owners, solution providers, and technology experts, GS1 Digital Link is a digitally-enabled, globally-unique identifier resembling a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) or Web address. It leverages the ubiquity of the Web and data carriers, including barcodes or QR codes, to enable solutions that help consumers connect directly to brand-authorized product information instantly via product packaging.
"Accurate product data and information transparency are critical to informing today's purchase decisions," said Carrie Wilkie, senior vice president, standards development, GS1 US®. "By leveraging GS1 Digital Link, any product can now be automatically connected to the Web and represented in a clear, accurate, consistent format that promotes brand, retailer, and consumer interaction, including robust product engagement opportunities."
For supply chains, GS1 Digital Link can also provide important safety information regarding the transport or disposal of product as well as photographic evidence of a product's chain of custody to help prove authenticity. Pilot projects are now underway, as solution providers and brand owners are already collaborating to upgrade their platforms to support this new standard.
GS1 Mobile Ready Hero Images Guideline
Recognizing the importance of images and clear communication of product information for the mobile shopping experience, the Mobile Ready Hero Images guideline helps brands provide a consistent image experience by specifying best practices for displaying four critical pieces of product information in a standardized format: brand, format, variant, and size. The guideline also provides specifications and recommendations for featuring images on mobile devices.
"With online shopping growing exponentially, it is essential for industry to collaborate to make product information accessible, accurate and easy to understand. With the ratification of GS1 Digital Link and the GS1 Mobile Ready Hero Images guideline, businesses around the globe will be better-equipped to meet the demands of information hungry consumers," said Robert Beideman, senior vice president, solutions and innovation, GS1.
GS1 Digital Link and the GS1 Mobile Ready Hero Images guideline were developed through the Global Standards Management Process (GSMP), the community-based forum, facilitated by GS1, where businesses facing common problems work together and develop standards-based solutions.
The Barcode News Magazine :: Summer 2018
We invite you to read our brand-new online magazine issue. Click to read the latest in barcoding!
This issue features articles and case studies on:
- Using RFID for Customer Service
- The True Cost of UPC Data
- Labeling and Packaging Artwork
- Industrial Vending
- Barcoded Neurons and Brain Mapping
- How Technology Can Help Retailers
This publication is packed with insightful information from experts in the Bar Code and Labeling Industry - and of course, a link to our free bar code label makers for UPC and other bar codes and also QR codes.
-- more news you can't possibly live without:
- Mesirow Financial Advises Ingenious Packaging Group on its Sale to Resource Label Group, LLC,
- Ivanti Simplifies Management of IT Assets, Contracts and Compliance
- Zebra Technologies Completes Acquisition of Xplore Technologies
- Crowdfunding RFID For Pets -Don’t Be the Peacock Left at the Airline Check-In Gate
- D-Tech International RFID Installation Helps Future Proof South Tyneside Libraries
- Lowry Solutions Named to 2018 CRN Fast Growth 150 List
- RetailSTARx with McKesson’s EnterpriseRx Supports ID Tracking for Controlled Substances
- Rootstock Software Announces New Cloud ERP Customer Win
- Born of the Defense Supply Chain, NeQter Labs Marks Growth and Demand for NIST Compliance Tool
- Unitech’s EA500 Brings Out Next Level Data Collection
- AIM Creates Blockchain Council
- Zebra Announces Second-Quarter 2018 Results
- ScanSource to Announce Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2018 Results on August 28, 2018
- Omron to Display Vision, Flexible Manufacturing, Traceability and Safety Solutions at IMTS
- Varian Announces Acquisition of humediQ Gl
Get The Bar Code News once a month, once a week or once a day. Subscribe here.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheBarCodeNews
Follow us on Facebook: https://facebook.com/TheBarCodeNews