The Impinj platform will help the air transport industry save $3 billion in lost luggage costs by 2023
SEATTLE, September 10, 2018 – Impinj, Inc. (NASDAQ: PI), a leading provider and pioneer of RAIN RFID solutions, today announced the Impinj® Monza® R6-B tag chip for tracking checked baggage in the global air-transport industry. Monza R6-B specifically addresses the recentInternational Air Transport Association (IATA) Board of Governors initiative for member airlines to use RAIN RFID-enabled bag tags by 2020.
The Impinj Monza R6-B is the first tag chip specifically engineered for airline baggage tracking. Its design builds upon Impinj’s product leadership in tag chips, reader chips, and fixed readers in the largest RAIN RFID airport luggage tracking deployments to date. The Monza R6-B enables airlines and airports to meet key baggage tracking requirements including IATA Resolution 753 and specific guidelines for RAIN RFID implementation in Recommended Practice 1740c.
“We have long been involved in baggage-tracking deployments with our integration partners, and are now seeing fast, worldwide adoption of RAIN RFID chips, readers, and software thanks to IATA’s leadership,” said Chris Diorio, Impinj founder and CEO. “There are more than 280 IATA member airlines transitioning to RAIN for bag tracking. This rollout is one of the largest and fastest industry adoptions in the history of RFID.”
Air Transport Industry Expects $3 Billion Savings by 2023
According to a study by IATA, RAIN RFID is predicted to save the air transport industry $3 billion by 2023 as more accurate luggage tracking results in fewer mishandled bags. RAIN RFID is proven to be 99.9 percent accurate in bag location tracking, supporting quicker aircraft turn times and improving the passenger experience with fewer lost bags, greater visibility into a bag’s location, and other enhanced travel applications.
A Monza R6-B tag chip in a baggage label wirelessly connects the bag and consistently enables fast and accurate luggage identification to keep baggage operations on schedule. Monza R6-B’s patented AutoTune™ self-tuning feature delivers reliable radio-frequency communications across worldwide frequency jurisdictions and in challenging airport environments such as stacked luggage and metallic infrastructure. Impinj’s patented Enduro™ connection design enables reliable labels that can withstand the wear-and-tear of baggage handling operations.
Impinj Platform Enables Efficiencies in Air Transport Industry Operations
Impinj provides a comprehensive platform spanning endpoints, connectivity, and software.
Our connectivity devices track bags throughout handling operations on conveyors, belt loaders, thresholds, and baggage hold areas. Impinj offers a variety of reader options for each of these read points, including integrated gateways, fixed readers, reader modules, and reader chips. Impinj software makes it easy to manage and monitor a RAIN RFID implementation and integrate RAIN data into other applications.
“The mandated adoption of RAIN RFID in the air transport industry is proof that Impinj’s vision to connect everyday items to the digital world is both real and achievable,” said Diorio. “What I find personally exciting is that passengers now see when their bags are loaded on their flight or are ready for pickup from a baggage carousel. Personalized, real-time luggage information is a wonderful example of Impinj empowering people to directly connect with the things that are important to them.”
- Toshiba Expands Mexico Footprint with Building Grand Opening in Guadalajara
- Smartrac to Broaden its Brand Protection Portfolio with eApeiron Solutions Acquisition
- Smartrac Introduces Patrick Eichstaedt as New Sales Leader for EMEA
- Object Management Group Releases Two Retail Technology Standards
- Shipping Box App Secures First Commercial Contract for BoxSizeID
- Datalogic's Memor 10 validated for Android Enterprise Recommended Program
- Smartrac Launches Cattle Ear Tag – a High-Performance RAIN RFID Product for Animal Identification
- Toshiba Inks Partnership with Brother
- Global AgTech Startups From Farm to Plate Vie for Attention at 10th Annual Ag Innovation Showcase
- Panorama Consulting Solutions Releases 2018 Top 12 Manufacturing ERP Systems Report
- Smartrac Launches the World’s Smallest Inlay MiniWeb, and DogBone Inlay with NXP’s UCODE® 8 Chips
- Wibmo Inc Launches New Version of Mobile Payment Ecosystem - Debit, Credit, QR Code, NFC and more
- New Solution For UHF Logistics Tags For Japanese Convenience Store Chains
- Armor to Acquire Thermal Transfer Ribbon Business and IP from Iconex
- World’s Only Global Solution for E-Invoicing Compliance Complies With New Requirements
- AI-Driven Procurement Software Provider Xeeva Named a Winner in the 2018 SaaS Awards
- Asset Tracking Company Named To Inc. 5000 2018
- Want it installed? Just scan the bar code. Do It Yourselfers Get A Hand!
- QR Codes and Mobile App Get Chick-fil-A Customers Free Nuggets
- ScanSource Reports Strong Fourth Quarter Results
Get The Bar Code News once a month, once a week or once a day. Subscribe here.