PITTSBURGH, April 09, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Powercast Corporation, the pioneer of radio-frequency (RF)-based long-range power-over-distance wireless charging technology, announced that it will demonstrate the industry’s first Batteryless Electronic UHF (Ultrahigh Frequency) Retail Price Tag at RFID Journal LIVE! (Booth #1260) being held in Orlando, April 10 – 12. It is a finalist for the show’s Best New RFID Product 2018 Award, with winners announced April 12. The demonstration will feature Powercast’s RF-to-DC power harvesting technology which can wirelessly update an electronic paper (ePaper) display, sending data and power over the air up to two meters away using a standard UHF RFID reader. Powercast’s technology enables quick electronic price changes, operates perpetually without batteries, and works with typical UHF RFID readers (handheld and fixed).
Powercast developed the concept tag to free retailers from having to change paper labels as well as the batteries required by the industry’s battery-powered electronic price tags – both of which are labor-intensive jobs. An RFID reader can update a whole shelf of product prices within a few seconds.
How Powercast’s Batteryless Electronic UHF Retail Price Tag Concept Works:
Select the tag(s) to update and the new price in an app on a handheld UHF reader. (Retailers can easily integrate this function into their system.) Point the reader at the price tag, up to two meters away, to securely send pricing data and RF energy over the air to Powercast’s tiny PCC110 Powerharvester® wireless power receiver chip embedded in the tag. The chip converts RF to DC to power the tag without batteries, and updates the display with the new, authenticated price in a few seconds. The tags don’t need batteries because they can harvest enough power just from a UHF RFID reader to operate perpetually.
Other Enabling Technology in the Batteryless Price Tag:
Powercast chose an ePaper display from E Ink because it can efficiently maintain the price image on the tag even when it’s outside of/not being directly powered by the UHF field. With both active matrix and segmented displays possible when designing electronic tags, the E Ink segmented display Powercast selected offers a more economical solution than the active matrix displays typically used in battery-powered electronic tags. Further, it doesn’t require a high-end display driver.
An evaluation kit for the Batteryless Electronic UHF Retail Price Tag is expected in Q4 2018 from distributors Arrow Electronics and Mouser Electronics. The concept tag is available for license or Powercast will work with partners to design their own batteryless price tags using Powercast’s PCC110 chip.
Powercast, established in 2003, is the leading provider of RF-based wireless power technologies that provide power-over-distance, eliminate or reduce the need for batteries, and power or charge devices without wires and connectors. Powercast’s IP portfolio includes 46 patents worldwide (21 in the US) and 30 patents pending. www.powercastco.com.
- Surface Trak - Tool Tracking System Uses RFID
- Checkpoint Adds Mini NeedleLok Retail Theft Solution Tag
- Impinj Announces Enhanced Channel Partner Program
- Toshiba Introduces Affordable Print and Apply System at #MODEX 2018
- RFID Innovations You Can Touch: Smartrac at RFID Journal Live! 2018
- #MODEX JLT Mobile Computers Bridges the Technology Gap with Deployment Services Capability
- CipherLab Showcases 1860 Series Bluetooth UHF RFID Reader at #RFIDLive
- New FEIG UHF RFID Gate Antenna Offers Outstanding Performance to Ease Bottlenecks, Eliminate False Alarms
- JADAK Launches ThingMagic IZAR at #RFIDLive18 This Week
- CipherLab Exhibits Rugged Android Industrial Mobile Computer at #MODEX 2018
- Frazier Industrial Company to Hold Press Conference at #MODEX 2018
- #RFIDLive Lowry Solutions Announces New Software Platform Sonaria
- Softeon to Show Breakthrough Order Picking and Fulfillment Solution at #MODEX2018
- Top Chinese Logistics Robot Maker Geek+ Debuts at MODEX
- AB&R to give away a free RFID site survey to #RFIDLive 2018 attendee
- Honeywell Announces New Software Platform For Connected Distribution Centers #MODEX
- #MODEX - Delta Electronics Unveils 30kW Wireless Charging Solutions for Material Handling
- Storage Equipment Safety Service returns to #MODEX and the North American Market
- Seegrid Expands Supervisor Fleet Management Software With Barcode Scanner Integration
- GS1 To Host Digital Convergence Forum June 6-7
- Two 4SIGHT Leaders Named 2018 Pros to Know by Supply & Demand Chain Executive
- A Message from Incoming SATO Holdings CEO Ryutaro Kotaki
- 10 THINGS YOU WON’T WANT TO MISS AT #MODEX 2018
- Mineral Supply Chain to be Transformed by Cobalt Blockchain and DLT Labs
- MTI Wireless Edge to Exhibit New Slim Antenna at #RFIDLIVE 2018, Orlando
- Panasonic and IDScan.net Announce First-Ever Handheld Passport Scanner
- Redbox Selects Mediamorph to Deliver Supply Chain Automation as it Expands its Digital Footprint
- Georgia SoftWorks to Exhibit Telnet Server and SSH Server at #Modex 2018
- Three Largest Districts in Illinois Now Use TIPWeb for Asset Management
- Elatec RFID - Joseph Grillo appointed Chairman of the Board of Directors
- CyberData Adds SIP RFID Access Control And SIP RFID Keypad Access Control Devices To Its New Line
- New Balluff BIS VU-320 UHF RFID Reader for Flexible Manufacturing
- FoodLogiQ Secures $19.5M in Oversubscribed Financing Round
- Strategic Mobility Group, LLC Wins 2017 Global Partner Of The Year
- Bak USA Showcases Its Rugged, Windows-Based Tablet at #MODEX 18
- Rush University Medical Center First to Adopt Code's Soft-Scanning for Epic Rover
- RFID in Healthcare Market Size to Reach $3.89 Billion Till 2022
- Healthcare Packaging Market to Reach Double-Digit Growth Rates in Near Future:
- AIM - Let's Talk About Data Capture Technologies Free Workshop at #MODEX
- DENSO brings Advanced Automotive Technology R&D to Israel
- Clínica del Norte Selects Zebra Technologies to Modernize Patient and Asset Tracking
- VerifyMe Signs Licensing Agreement with Intelligent Packaging Solutions Provider eAgile
- Scandit Listed as a Retail Example in Gartner Report
- Hanmi Pharmaceutical Completes Innovation with RFID And 'Smart Plant'
- UltraShip named a “Notable TMS Vendor” in Gartner’s 2018 Report on Transportation Management Systems
- TEKLYNX General Manager Doug Niemeyer Named Supply & Demand Chain Executive 2018 Pro to Know
Get The Bar Code News once a month, once a week or once a day. Subscribe here.